We know that our xperia ray got the update from ICS 4.0.3 to ICS 4.0.4. I’m really glad to know that, lot of my readers are satisfied with my simple steps to root ICS 4.0.3. Now its time to root your Android 4.0.4! I have found lot of hard steps to root Android 4.0.4. I think, it is only suitable for advanced users and developers. But, I’m going to show you a simple method to root Android 4.0.4! First of all, are you newbie in rooting? Don’t know what is android rooting? Ok, let me explain about android rooting.
What Is Root?
On many computer operating systems including Unix, Linux and Android, the root account, is a special user with complete access to all files and commands. Various names for this type of account might include, administrator, superuser, or supervisor.
In the context of Android, root access allows the user to have complete control over their device. Root access is commonly granted for developers allowing them access to all files and commands on the device.
With full root access to a device, there is potential for damage. Any user with root access is strongly cautioned to be very careful.
How To Root Sony Xperia Ray 4.0.4?
Warning: This tutorial is for 4.1.B.0.587 only! So, verify now: Go to your phone Settings>>About Phone>> Build Number.
- Sony Xperia Ray ST18i
- Android 4.0.4 OS (ICS)
- Kernal 4.1.B.0.587 Download Here.
- Kernal 4.1.A.0.562 Download Here.
- Latest Version Flashtool Download Here.
- Sony Xperia Ray Rooting Package.You Can Get It From Here
- Windows Operating System [Any Edition]
Steps Before Going To Root
- Backup Your Device (Songs,Videos,Images,Contacts,Call log,Messages).In normal condition, you will never lose anything while rooting.But, I’m strongly recommend to take a backup.
- Minimum charge left in the device should be at least 70% so as to ensure that device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- ADB Should be installed in your computer without which it’s not possible to make use of this procedure.(Included in Sony Xperia Ray Rooting Package.
- Enable the USB Debugging in your SONY Xperia Ray from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
Assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed for rooting steps!
Delete all files in the directory “firmwares” (C: Flashtool>>firmwares) and copy the file ST18i_4.0.4_4.1.A.0.562_kernel.ftf into the “firmwares” folder.
Run the flshtool software and flash the kernal ST18i_4.0.4_4.1.A.0.562_kernel.ftf (See the screenshots)
Switch off your phone and connect your phone to PC while holding the “down volume key. Don’t release your finger. After flashing is done, you can release the down key button.
After flashing, your phone will restart. If your phone is not restarting after 2min, remove the USB cable and turn on the phone.
Note: You might get errors after the reboot, don’t worry, this is normal and step 3 will fix that.
Connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and open the file “runme.bat” file from your computer.
As soon as you connect your phone, press 1 and hit on enter to start the process of rooting.
Delete all files in the directory “firmwares” (C: Flashtool>>firmwares) and copy the file ST18i_4.0.4_4.1.B.0.587_T.ftf into the “firmwares” folder.
Run the flshtool software and flash the kernal ST18i_4.0.4_4.1.B.0.587_T.ftf (See the screenshots)
Yahoooo All Done! Now your android 4.0.4 is successfully rooted. Now you can see the “Superuser” app in installed on your phone!
Note: Want to verify whether your phone is rooted or not? Just download this Root Checker app from play store and verify yourself !
Enjoy! Don’t forget to post your comments here. Because your comments are my only inspiration.